This event is many things to many people, but at its core, it is a critically important fundraiser for LifeFlight of Maine, a nonprofit organization and our state’s only emergency medical helicopter service. Since we started operations in 1998, LifeFlight has touched the lives of more than 23,000 critically ill and injured people from nearly every community in Maine.
We know that not everyone is a born fundraiser, but get this: Last year’s participants raised an average of more than $1,600 per person! That’s right, people just like you raised more than $356,000 for LifeFlight. Here are some ways to up your fundraising game!
- Set up your fundraising page. You don't have to make it complicated. Think of the people landing on your page, how PROUD they are of you! They're excited to support you and know that swimming across the Bay is an amazing feat.
- Add a photo of yourself. Not for you? How about a photo of the ocean or mountains.
- Set a fundraising goal. It’s a goal so set it high, so you have to stretch yourself to reach it. Together, you and the other swimmers, paddlers and our terrific sponsors can make a real difference for critically ill and injured patients in Maine.
- Write a short little blurb about 1) what you're doing; 2) why you're doing it; and 3) how much you would appreciate the support. Seriously, just a few short but personal sentences are enough to enlist support.
- Just remember, you aren't asking them to send you money. You're asking them to support LifeFlight of Maine, this organization that is saving lives every single day.
Write a post on your social media page or pages.
- Pick up the phone and call, or send a personal text message to someone.
- Some employers will match an employee’s donation. Ask your friends to connect with their HR department for details on how to make that request.
- Finally, ask your friends and family. You don't even have to ask in person! Share your page on Facebook, use the automated email function to mass mail, or send the page link to people separately. People like to participate You can do it, but you have to ASK!
Want some useful talking points?
- LifeFlight is Maine’s only statewide helicopter critical care transport service.
- Last year, LifeFlight cared for more than 2,300 critically ill or injured patients throughout the state.
- We have helped more than 33,000 patients get the advanced medical treatment and rapid transport they need, no matter where they are or whether they are able to pay.
- This nonprofit service is literally the difference between life and death, especially when transport over rugged terrain (or water!) can take hours to get to the nearest trauma center.
- LifeFlight of Maine is nationally renowned for safety and leadership.
- Funds raised at this year’s event support LifeFlight's mission